Situated in the heart of the school with views over the valley, St Oswald’s is home to 62 boys.

The house was founded in 1926 and is one of the four original boarding houses at Ampleforth. St Oswald’s House started life in the central area of the school but was relocated in 1973 to  the purpose built Nevill House. Boarding accommodation is provided in small dormitories of six for the first three years, and then in single study bedrooms for the sixth form.

Mr Jonathan Cochrane is the ninth Housemaster of St Oswald’s House; he was the Assistant Housemaster for a year and has been at Ampleforth as a Teacher of Physics since 2013.  While at Ampleforth Jonny has become a commissioned officer in the CCF.  Jonny graduated from Brunel University in 1996 with an Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree and, after a year-out as a Ski and Snowboard instructor in Italy, decided to pursue a career in the Police where he progressed quickly to become Detective Sergeant.  In 2007 he transferred to the Royal New Zealand Police Force before returning to the UK and re-training with a PGCE at Sheffield Hallam University.  Jonny has represented the UK police abroad in both Snowsports and Ironman Triathlon.  He is married to Katy who works as a business development consultant for a Mental Health Charity and they have two children, Agnes and Francis.

Commendation supper
Second year social goodbye
Rafting
Rafting
U6 Singing
U6 Singing
U16 Rugby 7s
U16 Rugby 7s

About St Oswald

St Oswald of Worcester (d. 992) was Archbishop of York from 972 until his death whilst washing the feet of the poor. As Bishop and Archbishop, Oswald supported St Dunstan’s reforms of the church, including monastic reforms, and founded a number of monasteries, including Ramsay Abbey in Cambridgeshire.