St Hugh’s was founded in 1956 by Fr Benedict Webb. The House moved from Aumit House (now home to St Bede’s) to purpose-built boarding accommodation in Fairfax House in 2004.

St Hugh’s enjoys views out over the games fields and Ampleforth valley. Boarding accommodation is in dormitories of four for the first year, followed by twin en-suite rooms in the second and third year, and single en-suite bedrooms for the sixth form boarders.

Dr Johannes Depnering is the seventh Housemaster of St Hugh's House since it opened in 1956. He was previously Assistant Housemaster in St Oswald’s and a Tutor in St Dunstan’s. He graduated with an MA degree from the University of Tübingen and gained his PGCE from the University of Buckingham. For his D.Phil. at St. Edmund Hall, University of Oxford, he worked on late-medieval Latin and German sermon manuscripts. Before joining Ampleforth, Johannes was a Postdoctoral Fellow and Tutor at Oriel College, Oxford. Now the Head of German, he also has a strong interest in sports, especially archery and cricket, and outdoor activities. Johannes is married to Liz, an Australian nurse and clinical educator, living in St Hugh’s with their cat, Winter.

About St Hugh

St Hugh of Lincoln (1135/40 – 1200) was a French noble, Benedictine and Carthusian monk and Bishop of Lincoln. At the time of the Reformation, he was the best-known English saint after Thomas Becket. St Hugh was consecrated Bishop of Lincoln in 1186 at Westminster and focused on raising the quality of education at the cathedral school until his death in 1200.