In 1908 Mr Peter Feeny offered to build a theatre at Ampleforth and on 6th May 1909 the cornerstone was laid.
The first recorded use of the theatre was on 27th July 1910 for a concert at which Fr Abbot distributed prizes.
The first play in the New Theatre, as it was referred to, was the Nativity Mystery Play, performed at 4.30pm on 21st December 1910. On the evening of 14th June 1911 the Exhibition play was for the first time acted in the theatre.
The theatre also housed a plunge bath and changing rooms in its lower levels.
In 1922 a cinema projector was acquired but could not be used in the theatre until 1923 when electric lighting and central heating was installed.
In Lent term 1995 the first Inter- House drama competition took place.